Building your own resume can be very challenging if you’re doing it for the first time. It’s very hectic as you need to present your qualifications and skills in such a way that it helps you grab the job you wish to apply for.
If you’re looking for ideas for making a perfect resume for a job then follow the steps mentioned below.
5 Simple Steps for Writing Resume
- Select a template:- You’re free to draft your resume on a word processor but that method makes the resume-building process difficult and time-consuming. Therefore it is advised that you select a professional template that can make the process super easy. There are many online sites such as indeed, that provide professional resume templates for free. These templates are properly structured with headings, subheadings and blank spaces for you to fill in your details.
- Add your Name and contact information:- After having selected the template, start by writing your Full name and contact information on top of the resume. Your name should be written in a comparatively bigger size than the other texts in the document. Your contact information should include your email address, phone number and a link directing to your profile on a professional networking platform such as LinkedIn or any other platform that you use. Adding your professional networking profile to your resume helps employers to gain more insights about you and your achievements.
- Add a summary and objective:- When the number of applications for a particular job opening is very high, the employers shortlist applicants based on their resumes. And, likely, the employer wouldn’t read the entire text of every resume, instead, he/she will just take a glance and pass it over without giving due attention. So you’ve to make sure that the selector reads those qualifications of yours which makes you the most suitable for the job. You can display your positive qualities concisely in two ways: Objective Statement and Summary Statement.
Resume Objective:- It is a 2-3 line statement at the top of your resume where you state your career goals, along with your strongest skills and also why you’re applying for the job.
Summary statement:- It should contain a concise overview of your work experience. Briefly describe the work experiences that are more relevant to the job profile you’re applying for and also state the reason why you are the best candidate for the job.
- Add your Education and Work experience:- List your highest level of education first and then the preceding ones. Also mention the year in which you completed a particular education and the grades you received. Do not add your high school education if you’re applying for a high profile job requiring graduates and postgraduates.
After the education section, list your work experience and positions of responsibility. Mention the job titles, company names and the period of employment with the date of joining and leaving. Describe each role and experience effectively to enhance your eligibility for the job.
- Add relevant skills:- Add relevant hard skills and soft skills that can increase the chances of your selection. Soft skills may include leadership, communication, management skills etc. Knowledge of programming languages like C++, python, java, etc is some examples of hard skills. You can also rate your proficiency level as basic, intermediate and expert for each role.
- Include your achievements and awards:- By including awards and achievements in your resume, you can become more appealing for the job. If you’ve ever received the ‘Student of the year’ or ‘Employee of the month’ award or any other award then be sure to include these in the resume.
Also include other achievements like winning a competition or winning a bonus for generating more sales or for bringing more clients, etc.
- Include keywords:- Some companies use software for shortlisting through the resumes. In such cases, you will stand a better chance if you include certain keywords in your resumes that directly relate to the position you’re applying for.
For example, you can mention keywords like ‘communication skills, and ‘time-management skills’ if it is stated as ‘required skills in the job description.
It is very important to be honest while writing a resume. Refrain from adding ingenuine certifications or achievements. Adding wrong information to your resume might backfire during the interviews as you may not be able to answer appropriately about false claims.
Check out the internships that we facilitate here at Growth Central VC:
Connect with us on:-
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/growthcentralvc/
By: Pragya Singh
Growth Central VC