Ever wondered how any program or software works? Data structures and algorithms form the base of such programs and software. Let’s try and understand what these terms mean and how they are related to each other.
DATA STRUCTURES: The method of effectively and efficiently organising and storing data is termed as data structure. It is the organisation of data in a manner such that they are made meaningful and easily recoverable.
Arrays, stacks, queues, trees, heaps, and graphs are some commonly used types of data structures.
ALGORITHMS: A food recipe is a known concept that can be compared to an algorithm and easily understood. Just as a recipe gives the steps to be followed and the procedure to make some food, algorithms are a set of rules to solve a problem or to achieve a task.
A few of the more prevalent algorithms are the Recursive algorithm, Brute Force algorithm, Dynamic Programming algorithm, Divide and Conquer algorithm, and Greedy algorithm.
WHAT ROLE DO THEY PLAY?
- Data structures and algorithms solve the problems of the real world.
- They have a role in Machine Learning.
- They form the foundation of computer science.
WHAT ARE THEIR BENEFITS?
- Storing data efficiently
- Convenient retrieval of data
- Effective processing of data
- Easy to manipulate huge volumes of data
- Decision-making is made more precise and consistent
- They are independent of programming language
- Finding an efficient solution to various problems
- Optimized code writing
The above points reiterate the importance and the need for developers to learn and apply data structures and algorithms in their work. Being at the foundation of programming, data structures, and algorithms, or DSA as they are commonly referred to as, play a pivotal role in any software or program development.
Ready to try your hand at a few DSA related questions? Click here.