Galvanic cells are electrochemical cells that convert the chemical energy of instant redox reactions into electrical energy. Also known as the ‘voltaic cells’. In oxidation-reduction reactions (redox reaction), energy is released once the free electrons start moving during the chemical reaction. The entire reaction is split into two halves due to mass-energy release i.e oxidation and reduction. The entire cell is made up of two half-cells, connected to a voltmeter and a switch. Daniel’s cell is an example of a Galvanic cell, where copper ions are reduced at the cathode and zinc is oxidized at the anode.
How does a GALVANIC CELL work?
Electric work is done by the Gibbs spontaneous redox reaction in the voltaic cell. There are two and a half cells and a salt bridge, where each half cell consists of a metallic electrode dipped in an electrolyte. All these cells are connected to a voltmeter and switch connected externally with the help of metallic wires.
Important parts of a GALVANIC CELL
- Oxidation happens at the anode
- Reduction happens at the cathode
- Salt bridge contains electrolytes that happen to complete the electric circuit after the redox is done
- Half cells are required to provide the separate compartments for the oxidation-reduction reactions
- The external circuit controls the flow of electrodes
- A part of the circuit utilizes the electron to perform the function.
NEED OF A GALVANIC CELL
Galvanic cells provide a foundation for generating electric energy from a spontaneous chemical reaction. They fuel up the battery system operated by modern society. Some real-life galvanic cell examples are Leclanche Dry Cell, Lithium-Iodine Battery, fuel cells, etc.
ADVANTAGES OF A GALVANIC CELL
- These cells produce a large and steady amount of electricity for a long time
- These cells are rechargeable
- They are light-weight and portable
- These cells provide a steady current and voltage
These electrochemical cells work on the easy process of oxidation and reduction reaction and are easy, powerful, rechargeable, and portable, providing a steady and large amount of electricity for a long time. Galvanic cells are also low-cost and are made up of non-toxic materials, sustainable for the environment. A Galvanic cell is an excellent idea of how you can harness energy using simple reactions with the help of few given elements. The common household battery is exemplary of Galvanic cells used in real life.
You got the basic idea of how Galvanic cells work.