Wanna start a website of your own? You might be thinking that this task will require a lot of resources including professional web developers. But what if we tell you that you can do it all yourself? Yes! You read it right.
Website building is no longer a tedious task, thanks to the advent of Content Management Systems (CMS). Of all the CMSs currently thriving in the world of the Internet, WordPress is by far the most popular and most used one.
WordPress is a beginner-friendly Content Management System that lets you host and manage your website, customize themes and appearance with the help of plug-ins and templates offered by the platform. You can use WordPress to create professional websites for your business, blog, etc.
The main difference has to do with who is hosting your website. If you opt for wordpress.org then you will have to host your website on your own, download the software, buy a domain name on a third party site and manage everything else. It’s the right choice if you want full control over your website. However, managing your website on wordpress.org involves a lot of responsibilities like editing the code, purchasing the template and plug-ins and managing the security of your website.
On the other hand, wordpress.com is an all in one combo pack which will spare you from most of the hard work. It offers to host your website and you never have to download, manage or purchase anything. If you stick to the free version, you would not be able to customize your website as per your wish. However, you can upgrade to the premium version for additional features and more control over your website.
Also, your domain name on wordpress.org will look like: www.myblog.com, while on the free version of wordpress.com, it will look like www.myblog.wordpress.com.
After having chosen either of the platforms, start off by selecting a plan.
1. Select a WordPress plan:- You don’t have to choose any plan for wordpress.org as it is fully free while other services need to be purchased from third party sites. But in the case of wordpress.com, you’ll have to choose between the five plans varying in monthly charges and the types of tools.
2. Set up your domain name and hosting provider:- Domain name is the URL address using which your website can be located. The hosting provider is the space where your website files will be stored and it is responsible for the speed and security of your website. On wordpress.org, you need to create your own domain and find a third-party hosting provider for you. On the other hand, wordpress.com itself takes care of the hosting and you can get a customized domain name depending upon your plan.
If you’re looking for a third-party hosting provider then make sure that it fulfils these three hosting requirements of WordPress.
- Recommended PHP version 7.4 or greater
- MySQL version 5.6 or greater or MariaDB version 10.1 or greater.
- HTTPS support
Domain names can be easily purchased through a domain registrar of choice.
3. Install WordPress Software:- If you are using a third-party hosting provider (other than WordPress hosting services like WP Engine or Kinsta), you’ll need to install the CMS to connect your new domain to your website.
For example, if You’ve chosen GoDaddy, then log in to your GoDaddy account, click on Web Hosting, and then Manage.
Your account details will appear on the screen.
Find ‘Options & Settings’, under which you will see the ‘Popular Apps’ field. Click on the ‘WordPress app’ to install the CMS.
After the installation is complete, fill in all the details which will be asked for.
Your website will be installed on your hosting account after 24 hours.
4. Set up Primary Domain: In WordPress, go to ‘My Site’ and click ‘Domains’. Select the custom domain and then click ‘Make Primary’. Confirm it by clicking ‘Update Primary Domain’.
Verify the update by ticking the green box that says ‘Primary Domain’.
5. Customize your website:- The default theme applied by WordPress is plain and unimpressive. You can customize your website and make it look professional and appealing by using themes, templates, layouts and other visual options available in WordPress.
- Customize theme
To change the theme, go to the admin dashboard, click ‘appearance’ and then ‘themes’. A screen with multiple theme options will appears where you can find the perfect fit for your website.
- Add posts and pages
To add a post/page to your website, go to the admin dashboard, click ‘Posts’ or ‘Pages’ and then ‘Add New’. Next, you can change the format, add title, insert elements and publish the post/page by clicking on ‘Publish’.
- Install plugins
Plugins enhance the functionality of your website. You can install and use plugins to add pop-ups, forms, and live chat to your WordPress website.
To use a plug-in, click Add New. Find the plugin you want to use and then click Install Now. Click ‘Activate’ after it is installed.
Make sure to visit our website for more such ‘How To’ guides, certification courses and many more!
Connect with us on:-
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/growthcentralvc/
By: Pragya Singh
Growth Central VC